Just a quick post this morning to say Happy Valentines Day! I wanted to give you a recipe for one of the top selling Mochas we ever conjured up at Morton Street Coffee. It was in honor of Valentine’s Day, 2013 and it is called “The Red Hot Lover”….ooh la la! As we go through the list of ingredients, you will see why we chose this play on words. If you do not have a counter-top espresso maker, you can make a similar drink with some strong coffee so lets get started.
I am the queen of improvisation so I will give you all the cheats I use at home since I no longer have all the tools of the coffee shop at my disposal anymore. You will need:
- one shot of espresso OR 1/2 cup of coffee (brewed to your liking)
- cinnamon coffee syrup ( You probably will not have this on hand. I used some Cinnamon Bun flavored coffee that pops right in my Keurig.) But if by chance you do, 2 tsp. per cup.
- 1/2 cup of quality Hot Chocolate (Please don’t use that pre-packaged stuff—ACK!) to make a wonderful and easy cup of hot chocolate while you are getting everything else around, put 1 cup of milk, 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder, and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once the milk starts to warm, you will be able to whisk the cocoa powder into the milk. This is so much better!
- a pinch of cayenne pepper Shocking, huh? This is the “red hot” part. Go slow with this and add until you get it right. I do not like cayenne pepper but this was my favorite drink we ever created. You want it so it just warms the back of your throat. Not an after-burn but a subtle after-warming. ☺
- Whipped cream and sprinkles…of course.
Since you have only used 1/2 cup of coffee and 1/2 cup of hot chocolate you will have one for you and one for you valentine. Happy sipping!
I have two of these little Starbucks cups that were a gift from one of my employees at Morton Street Coffee. They are one of the few things I kept. Oh–and don’t forget a few pieces of chocolate.
My Valentine gift to myself was getting the dogs bathed—by someone else. They came home smelling so sweet and with valentine collar covers.
Franks’ has little spotted dogs on his saying, “I WUF YOU.” Adorbs!
And Miss Vanessas’ is pink with sparkly hearts. It fits the diva in her perfectly.
Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day with your love. If you do not have someone special, grab a friend or an elderly person that is alone, or a child (please get parental permission before grabbing children and driving off with them ☺) and take them to the local coffee shop, soda fountain, or bakery and share a special moment out of your weekend with them. The greatest blessings sometimes come in the smallest of gestures.